Health Benefits of Eating Cherries
Did you know that cherries are not only delicious, but they also offer a variety of health benefits? This juicy fruit is packed with nutrients and antioxidants that can help improve your health in a number of ways. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most impressive health benefits of eating cherries. From brain health to cancer prevention, read on to learn more about how this little fruit can have a big impact on your health.
The Health Benefits of Eating Cherries
There are many health benefits of eating cherries. Here are just a few:
1. Cherries are an excellent source of antioxidants.
2. They can help reduce inflammation.
3. They can help lower cholesterol levels.
4. They can improve your sleep quality.
5. They may help boost your immune system.
The Different Types of Cherries
There are two main types of cherries - sweet and sour. Sweet cherries are the kind you eat fresh, while sour cherries are used for cooking.
Sweet cherries include Bing, Rainier, Chelan, and Tulare. Sour cherries include Montmorency and Morello.
Sweet cherries are round and have a red or dark red color. They’re sweet with a slightly tart flavor. Sour cherries are oval-shaped and have a deep red color. They’re tart with a slightly sweet flavor.
Bing cherries are the most popular type of sweet cherry. They’re large, dark red, and have a sweet flavor with just a hint of tartness.
Rainier cherries are another type of sweet cherry. They’re smaller than Bing cherries, but they’re just as sweet. Rainier cherries also have a yellowish hue due to their high sugar content.
Chelan cherries are another type of sweet cherry. They’re small and dark red like Bing cherries, but they have a more intense sweetness. Chelan is one of the sweeter varieties of cherry available.
Tulare cherries are the last type of sweet cherry on our list. They’re small and dark red like the others, but they have a somewhat bland taste compared to other sweet cherry varieties
How to Eat Cherries for Maximum Health Benefits
Cherries are a delicious and healthy fruit with many health benefits. Here are some tips on how to eat cherries for maximum health benefits:
1. Eat cherries with the skin on for the most antioxidants.
2. Eat a variety of different colored cherries for different health benefits. Red cherries are great for heart health, while black cherries have anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Eat fresh cherries whenever possible, as they have the most nutrients. If you can't find fresh cherries, frozen or dried cherries are also good options.
4. Add cherries to your diet in a variety of ways - eat them whole, use them in smoothies or juices, add them to yogurt or oatmeal, or bake with them.
5. Store fresh cherries in the fridge and enjoy within a few days for best results.
Cherries are a nutritious and delicious fruit that offer many health benefits. Here are some recipes to help you enjoy cherries in all their glory!
Cherry Berry Smoothie: This smoothie is packed with antioxidants and vitamins from the cherries and berries. It’s a great way to start your day or enjoy as a post-workout snack.
¾ cup frozen cherries
¼ cup frozen raspberries
1 banana, sliced
1 cup almond milk or water
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
Directions: Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately!
Cherry Vanilla Overnight Oats: These oats are the perfect make-ahead breakfast or snack. The addition of cherries and vanilla extract give them a boost of flavor and nutrition.
Ingredients: Servings: 1-2 | Prep time: 5 minutes | Total time: 5 minutes + overnight chilling time | Calories per serving : 350 kcal | Fat : 8 g | Carbs : 60 g | Protein : 9 g | Fiber : 9 g
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup almond milk or water
½ cup cherries, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons chia seeds